Sunday Night Hockey Debuts with Good Numbers for Red Wings/Blackhawks
January 19, 2012 1 Comment
The Original Six rivalry between Chicago and Detroit came up big in the numbers for the NBC Sports Group twice in six days, successfully launching their fourth night of hockey.
The Red Wings and Blackhawks first of two overtime games in six days drew 587,000 viewers on NBCSN Sunday, January 8th. This makes it the second most-watched game of the season on the network. This gives NBCSN two games topping 500,000 viewers in four days (PIT/WSH, 1/11/12: 527,000). The game between Detroit and Chicago on NBC six days later also drew solid ratings. NBC’s second Sunday night broadcast drew a near season low (NYR/MTL, 1/15/11: 202,000) but that can be attributed to football.
Top 5 VERSUS/NBCSN Games This Season
1. Boston/Philadelphia, 10/6/11 – 874,000 viewers
2. Detroit/Chicago, 1/8/11 – 587,000 viewers
3. Philadelphia/Buffalo, 12/7/11 – 585,000 viewers
4. Philadelphia/Buffalo, 11/2/11 – 558,000 viewers
5. Chicago/Minnesota, 12/14/11 – 540,000 viewers
(Source: The Voice of TV)