Rangers/Caps Triple OT Classic Draws 1.9 million
May 3, 2012 9 Comments
The first triple-overtime game of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs drew big numbers on NBC Sports Network.
Game 3 between the Rangers and Capitals drew 1.85 million viewers last night on NBCSN, easily topping Game 2 of the series as the most watched game of the playoffs on cable. According to my numbers, Game 3 is the second most-watched non-Final game ever on NBCSN/VERSUS/OLN, save for Bruins/Lightning Game 7 last year. It beats out all other games from last year’s playoffs, and last year’s second round. This would make it the second most-watched non-Stanley Cup game since the lockout on cable.
Locally, the game scored record ratings in New York, where it drew a 3.99, highest for any NHL game ever on NBC Sports Network, VERSUS or OLN in the market. It was also up 93% from VERSUS’ exclusive broadcasts of the Rangers/Penguins series in 2008, the last time New York made it to the semifinals. In Washington DC, the game drew a 6.8, up 6% over the exclusive broadcasts from last year’s Lightning/Capitals semifinal series.
Top 10 Most-watched Games of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs on Cable
1. NY Rangers vs. Washington, Game 3 (5/2/12, NBCSN): 1.85 million
2. Washington vs. NY Rangers, Game 2 (4/30/12, NBCSN): 1.53 million
3. Washington vs. Boston, Game 7 (4/25/12, NBCSN): 1.32 million
4. New Jersey vs. Philadelphia, Game 2 (5/1/12, NBCSN): 1.29 million
5. Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh, Game 5 (4/20/12, NBCSN): 1.07 million
6. Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia, Game 4 (4/18/12, NBCSN): 1.03 million
7. Ottawa vs. NY Rangers, Game 7 (4/26/12, NBCSN): 984,000
8. New Jersey vs. Florida, Game 7 (4/26/12, NBCSN): 867,000
9. NY Rangers vs. Ottawa, Game 6 (4/23/12, NBCSN): 861,000
10. Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh, Game 1 (4/11/12, NBCSN): 847,000
(Source: TVBytheNumbers, NBC Sports)